Chipotle Shrimp Quesadillas
These smokey, crispy quesadillas are ready in under an hour and weigh in at 470 calories for four wedges. Fit them into your meal plans this week!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
See this integrated into one of our meal plans!
- 4 tomatillos, husked
- 2 cups seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tbsp seeded and chopped jalapeño chile pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice, divided
- 3 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 lb raw frozen and thawed small shrimp, rinsed
- 3/4 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 4 8-inch whole-grain tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Prepare salsa: In a pot of boiling water, add tomatillos and boil for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until peel starts to separate from flesh. Drain, peel and finely chop. In a medium bowl, combine tomatillos, tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, 2 tbsp lime juice, 1 1/2 tsp oil, salt and pepper. Stir and set aside.
- In a large skillet on medium-high, heat remaining 2 tsp oil. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add shrimp, cooking on 1 side for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip over and add remaining 2 tbsp lime juice. Sprinkle with chile powder and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes, until shrimp is opaque throughout. Remove to a cutting board; chop shrimp. Wipe out skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, cheese, 1/2 cup salsa and beans.
- Mist 1 side of 2 tortillas with cooking spray. Heat skillet on medium and place 1 tortilla, sprayed side down, in skillet. Spread half of bean mixture over tortilla, leaving 1/2-inch space around edges. Place other tortilla, sprayed side up, over filling. Heat for 2 to 3 minutes, using a spatula to press edges of tortillas together. Carefully flip quesadilla over and cook other side for 2 minutes.Repeat with remaining 2 tortillas and bean mixture.
- Cut each quesadilla into 8 wedges. Arrange 4 wedges on each plate and top each serving with 1/4 cup salsa and 1/4 chopped avocado.
- Serving Size 4 wedges, 1/4 c salsa, 1/4 avocado
- Calories 470
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 151 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 32 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 414 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g