Nutritional Bonus: One soufflé provides nearly 15% of your daily need for selenium, a trace mineral that supports proper thyroid function and strengthens the immune system. Vitamin K promotes cellular growth and helps keep bones strong as you age – and you’ll get a whopping 35% of the recommended dose with a helping of this recipe.
- Position 1 rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Thoroughly coat the insides of 4 6-oz ramekins with buttery spread. Divide bread crumbs evenly among ramekins. One at a time, gently shake ramekins to coat with bread crumbs, discarding any that don’t adhere.
- Place egg yolk in a large mixing bowl. Add 3 whites to another large mixing bowl, preferably stainless steel. To the yolk, add mustard powder, salt and a few grinds of pepper; set aside. To the whites, add cream of tartar and set aside.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan on medium-low. Add scallions and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly pour in milk while continuing to whisk. Increase heat to medium and whisk constantly until mixture thickens, 1 to 2 minutes (do not allow milk to boil). Remove from heat.
- Add a spoonful of milk mixture to egg yolk and whisk to combine (this prevents yolk from overheating). Add remaining milk mixture and whisk again. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold chives and cheese into yolk mixture, then add about one-third of egg whites. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold whites into yolks, just until combined (do not over-mix; a few white streaks should remain visible). Fold in remaining egg whites in 2 more batches. Divide mixture evenly among prepared ramekins. Bake directly on oven rack for 18 to 19 minutes or until tops are puffed and golden brown. Transfer ramekins to table right away, as tops will start to deflate almost immediately. Soufflés will be very hot, so wait 5 to 10 minutes, then enjoy!
- Serving Size 1 souffle
- Calories 172
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 14 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 357 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g