Also see Sweet Potato Cinnamon Brownies.
Ella Woodward is all about embracing healthy living. Her first cookbook Deliciously Ella: 100+ Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Plant-Based, Gluten-Free Recipes (Scribner, 2015) is the bestselling debut cookbook ever in the UK and her app has been a bestseller for the last year.
- Start by making the base: Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. In a food processor, add the almonds and pecans and blend for about 1 minute until a grainy flour forms. Add the dates and almond butter and blend again until the mixture becomes nice and sticky. Transfer mixture to prepared pan, pressing it in firmly with a spatula. Place the tray in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Next, make the caramel layer: Place all the ingredients in the food processor with ½ cup of water and blend until smooth and creamy, then pour over the base layer. Return the pan to the freezer for 30 to 40 minutes, until firm enough to pour over the chocolate layer.
- Finally, make the chocolate layer: In a saucepan over low heat, melt the cacao butter with the almond butter. Pour melted mixture into the food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- When the caramel has become solid, spread the chocolate layer on top, then return pan to the freezer; freeze for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer and let thaw slightly at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes, then cut them into 16 slices.
- Serving Size 1 slice
- Calories 396
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 23 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 2 mg
- Sugar Content 40 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g