Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric hand mixer until fluffy, about 30 seconds. Gradually add 3/4 cup cane juice, milk, vanilla and applesauce and beat until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. With electric hand mixer, gradually beat flour mixture into egg mixture until smooth. Stir in carrots. Spoon mixture into a 9 x 9-inch baking dish, using the back of spoon to smooth top. Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick or tester comes out clean when inserted in center. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Wipe out bowls.
- Meanwhile, prepare icing: In medium bowl, combine icing ingredients and beat with a fork or electric hand mixer until smooth. Remove cake from dish and crumble into small crumbs over top of large bowl. Add icing to cake crumbs and mix thoroughly with a rubber spatula or your hands. Form into 1-inch balls and transfer to 2 large baking sheets. Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly hardened.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add chocolate. Microwave on high for 15 to 20 seconds; stir well. If not fully melted, microwave for 5 to 10 more seconds. (NOTE:Watch carefully to prevent chocolate from burning.)
- Dip 1 end of 1 lollipop stick in 1/2 inch of chocolate. Insert chocolate-dipped end halfway into flat end of 1 cake ball. Repeat with remaining sticks and cake balls. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes for chocolate to harden.
- Rest 1 cake pop on the inside edge of bowl with chocolate; carefully tilt bowl to coat cake in chocolate. (NOTE:Do not dunk cake pop directly into chocolate, as ball may fall off stick.) Gently tap stick on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Hold stick for about 30 seconds, rotating to circulate drips. If desired, garnish top with walnuts. Pierce bottom of stick into foam block to hold upright. Repeat with remaining cake pops and chocolate and refrigerate until chocolate sets, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If desired, wrap tops of cake pops in cellophane bags to store.
- Serving Size per pop
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4.5 g
- Sodium Content 99 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g