Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Prepare filling: In a small saucepan, combine all filling ingredients and 1/3 cup water; heat on medium. Bring to a simmer and stir, mashing berries with a spoon to break up. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Blend mixture using an immersion blender for 10 to 15 seconds to break up seeds slightly. Cool completely. (MAKE AHEAD: Make filling up to 1 week in advance; cool and refrigerate in an airtight container.)
- Prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans generously with cooking spray. Cut 2 circles of parchment paper to line bottom of pans. Place 1 circle of parchment in bottom of each pan and coat with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater, combine cane juice and eggs. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Add oil and continue to beat for 2 minutes more. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture, a little at a time, followed by milk and vanilla. Stop machine and scrape down sides of bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
- Place ½ cup batter in each prepared pan and spread with a rubber spatula to evenly coat the bottom. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges are beginning to brown and pull away from the sides of the pan and cake is golden. Invert cakes onto a cooling rack. Carefully peel parchment from bottom of each cake and place back in bottom of pans. Coat parchment with cooking spray again. Repeat until no batter remains (you’ll need to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure all batter is used). Let cakes cool on rack while the next layer bakes. (TIP: If your cooling rack isn’t big enough, line counter with parchment; transfer cooled cakes with a flat spatula.)
- Once cakes are completely cooled, using a flat spatula, place 1 layer on an 8-inch cake board or directly onto a serving platter. Spoon 3½ tbsp filling over cake, spreading to cover. Top with next layer. Repeat steps until all 10 layers are stacked and filled, ending with a cake layer.
- Prepare glaze: Place chocolate into a heat-proof bowl. Place cream in a small saucepan and heat on medium-low, without stirring, until small bubbles appear around edges of pan, 1 to 2 minutes (do not boil). Pour cream over chocolate; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Uncover and stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is glossy and thick. Pour chocolate mixture over cake, allowing glaze to drip down sides. Chill until glaze is set, 1 hour.
- Serving Size 1 1/2-inch wedge
- Calories 374
- Carbohydrate Content 49 g
- Cholesterol Content 49 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 251 mg
- Sugar Content 25 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 9 g