- Prep Time
- 16 cupcakesServings
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda and sea salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane juice (aka organic cane sugar)
- 1/3 cup safflower oil
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp whole milk, divided
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup unsalted organic butter, room temperature (TRY: Horizon Organic Unsalted Butter)
- 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin tins with 16 liners, 8 in each, filling remaining slots halfway with warm water.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, ½ cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat eggs, cane juice and oil on medium high until pale yellow in color and doubled in volume, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add sour cream, ½ cup milk and vanilla and beat until combined. Stop machine and add flour mixture. Mix on low until combined, then beat on medium-high for 2 minutes. Divide batter among liners, filling each two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with fudgy crumbs, 10 to 12 minutes, being mindful not to over bake. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, in a food processor, process dates and butter until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining ¼ cup cocoa and espresso powder and process until combined. Add remaining 3 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp at a time, scraping down sides after each addition. Once milk is incorporated, process for an additional 2 minutes. Spread icing over cupcakes.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 179
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 38 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 151 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 4 g