Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line 2 muffin tins with 16 liners, 8 in each, filling remaining slots halfway with warm water.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, ½ cup cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with a
paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat eggs, cane juice and oil on medium high until pale yellow in color and doubled in volume, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add sour cream, ½ cup milk and vanilla and
beat until combined. Stop machine
and add flour mixture. Mix on low until combined, then beat
on medium-high for 2 minutes. Divide batter among liners, filling
each two-thirds full. Bake until a
toothpick inserted in the center
comes out with fudgy crumbs, 10 to 12 minutes, being mindful not to over bake. Transfer cupcakes to
a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, in a food processor, process dates and butter until
smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining ¼ cup cocoa and espresso powder and process until combined. Add remaining 3 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp at a time, scraping down sides
after each addition. Once milk is incorporated, process for an additional 2 minutes. Spread icing over cupcakes.
- Serving Size 1 cupcake
- Calories 179
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 38 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 151 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g