Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Pie
Can’t decide between chocolate and pumpkin pie for your holiday gathering? This dessert has both with a velvety pumpkin filling and beautiful swirls of rich, dark chocolate.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Looking for more dessert recipes? Click here.
- 1¼ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup + ½ tbsp coconut sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp organic unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled, divided
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, chilled
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice, chilled
- 1½ cups unsweetened pumpkin purée
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (TRY: Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract)
- 1 tsp each ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in ½ cup butter and coconut oil until it resembles small peas. Add orange juice and 4 to 5 tbsp ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, mixing with a fork until dough begins to stick together. Gently gather into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, 2 eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp salt.
- In the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water, combine chocolate, cream, cocoa powder and remaining 2 tbsp butter. Cook, stirring frequently, until chocolate has melted, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup pumpkin mixture, 1 tbsp at a time. Stir in remaining 1 egg. (NOTE: Adding pumpkin mixture will cool chocolate so egg will not scramble.)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to a 10-inch pie plate, trimming to fit if necessary and crimping edges. (TIP: Use trimmings to patch any holes in dough.) Fill with two-thirds of pumpkin mixture. Top with chocolate mixture. Dollop remaining pumpkin mixture over chocolate and swirl with the tip of a knife.
- Bake until pastry begins to brown, 8 to 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350°F and bake until filling is set, 45 to 55 minutes more. Cool completely before slicing. Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Serving Size 1/12 of pie
- Calories 299
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 79 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 11.5 g
- Sodium Content 112 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1.5 g