Nutritional Bonus: Chicken is not only an excellent source of lean protein, but it is also one of the best sources of tryptophan (with more than 100% of your daily need in just one 4-oz serving), an essential amino acid that plays a key role in helping you sleep well and prevent depression.
- To a 4-qt slow cooker, add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and chipotle chiles. Stir to combine. Top with potatoes and tomatoes.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add chicken and cook for about 2 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. To skillet, add broth, scraping up any browned bits with a spoon; pour broth over chicken. Sprinkle with cumin. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and falling off the bone. (Alternatively, cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.)
- Gently remove chicken from slow cooker. Turn off heat and let stand, uncovered, for 15 minutes to absorb flavors and thicken slightly. (NOTE: Do not stir as vegetables are tender.) Debone chicken in large pieces. Divide chicken among serving bowls and top with vegetable mixture. Drizzle oil over top, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with salt and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups soup
- Calories 343
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 117 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 525 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g