Chunky Curry Soup with Basil Biscuits
Simple and savory biscuits are perfect for dunking in our warm spiced soup, but if you’re short on time, swap them out by adding cubed redskin potatoes to this Clean Eating recipe for a quicker (and gluten-free!) alternative that's just as filling.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more vegetarian Clean Eating recipes here!
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 3 oz plain Greek yogurt (not nonfat)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 head cauliflower, florets only
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted chickpeas, with juices
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. In a large bowl, whisk flour, basil, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk yogurt and 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp water. Fold yogurt mixture into flour mixture until just combined. (TIP: If too thick, add more water in 1-tbsp increments; dough should be a bit thicker than pizza dough.) Let rest.
- Lightly dust work surface with flour and turn dough out onto surface. Press into a rough disc and use a rolling pin to roll dough ½-inch thick. With a 2-inch round biscuit cutter or the rim of a small glass, cut out 12 biscuits. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat oil on medium. Add carrot and curry powder and sauté, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add broth and 3 cups water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in chickpeas with juices and simmer for 5 more minutes, until carrot and cauliflower are tender. Top with cheese and cilantro and serve with biscuits.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cup of soup, 3/4 oz feta, 3 biscuts
- Calories 324
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 500 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 1 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g