Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Find more breakfast recipes here.
- To a bowl, add cashews and enough cold tap water to cover by 1 inch. Let soak at room temperature for 4 to 8 hours. Drain cashews, discarding liquid. In a blender, add cashews, filtered water, maple syrup, lemon zest, juice and cinnamon and blend until smooth. Transfer to a 16-oz glass jar.
- Open probiotic capsules and stir contents into cashew mixture. Cover jar with a clean tea towel or coffee filter and secure with a rubber band. Let ferment in a warm place away from direct sunlight for 24 to 36 hours, stirring every 12 hours.
- Stir in vanilla. Seal tightly with lid and refrigerate for up to 3 days. (NOTE: Always add the vanilla at the end as the alcohol can slow the fermentation process.)
- Serving Size 1/2 cup
- Calories 174
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 4 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g