Find more slow-cooker recipes here!
This is an ideal way to prepare salmon – cooked slowly surrounded by a moist heat. Lentils and beets can be left to cook all day, while the salmon takes only 25 “walk away” minutes once you get home. Use a large 5- to 7-quart slow cooker to accommodate all six portions of salmon. Smaller 2 1/2- to 3-quart slow cookers can be used but will only accommodate four fillets. If you’d still like to prepare the entire six-fillet recipe in a smaller cooker, try layering the pieces of salmon on top of one another between parchment paper and extend the cooking time by about 7 minutes, until fish is opaque in center.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup French (aka du Puy) lentils
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb small golden beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 6 4- to 5-oz wild salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Combine first 6 ingredients together in slow cooker and stir. Drizzle beets with oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap beets tightly in foil or parchment paper and place on top of lentil mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 5½ hours, until lentils are tender and beets can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, set aside 1 tsp lemon juice for lentils. In a small saucepan set over high heat, bring remaining lemon juice and zest, orange juice and zest, and honey to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until juice has thickened and is reduced to about 2 tbsp.
- Remove beets from wrapping and let rest until cool enough to handle. Peel beets by slipping off and discarding skins, slice beets into wedges and keep warm. Place 1 sheet parchment over lentil mixture in slow cooker. Season salmon with salt and pepper, brush tops with citrus glaze and arrange salmon on parchment, skin side down. Place lid on slow cooker and continue to cook on low for 25 minutes or until salmon is opaque in center. Remove salmon by lifting out parchment. Remove bay leaf, stir reserved 1 tsp lemon juice and parsley into lentil mixture and season with salt and pepper. To serve, place a mound of lentils and beets in center of plate with 1 salmon fillet over top.
- Serving Size: 1 salmon fillet, 3 1/2 oz lentils, 2 oz beets, 1 tsp glaze
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 60 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g