Clams Casino Stir-Fry with Bell Peppers & Ham
A fun spin on the well-known restaurant appetizer, this stir-fry version becomes a rich and hearty dinnertime meal with all the traditional flavor elements: sweet bell pepper, smoky ham, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salty clams and oregano.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 8 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz nitrate-free baked ham, chopped (TIP: From your deli or meat counter)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lb large fresh shucked clams
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a wok or large skillet on medium-high. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add ham, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute, until oregano is fragrant. Add clams and broth and bring to a simmer over same heat. Simmer for 2 minutes, until clams are tender and cooked through. Stir in bread crumbs and Parmesan and cook for 1 more minute to heat through. Remove from heat, stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve clam mixture over spaghetti.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 c clam mixture and 1 c spaghetti
- Calories 459
- Carbohydrate Content 57 g
- Cholesterol Content 78 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 40 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 536 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g