- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 lb small fresh clams (such as Manila or littleneck)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3/4 cup fish stock or bottled clam juice
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (such as Fino)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1-lb loaf crusty whole-grain bread, cut into 8 slices and toasted
1. In a large bowl of cold water, gently swish clams to remove grit. Drain and repeat twice with fresh cold water. Drain.
2. In a large saucepan on medium, heat oil. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add clams, fish stock, sherry, ½ cup water, parsley, oregano, black pepper and pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Discard any clams that do not open. Serve clams with bread.
MAKE AHEAD: Rinse clams as directed, place them in a bowl, cover with a wet paper towel and refrigerate until ready to cook. Prepare shallot, garlic, parsley and oregano; measure the sherry and clam juice; and chill everything. When you’re ready to eat, proceed with the recipe.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup clam mixture and 2-oz bread
- Calories: 209
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Cholesterol Content: 12 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 549 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g