1. In a large bowl of cold water, gently swish clams to remove grit. Drain and repeat twice with fresh cold water. Drain.
2. In a large saucepan on medium, heat oil. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add clams, fish stock, sherry, ½ cup water, parsley, oregano, black pepper and pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Discard any clams that do not open. Serve clams with bread.
MAKE AHEAD: Rinse clams as directed, place them in a bowl, cover with a wet paper towel and refrigerate until ready to cook. Prepare shallot, garlic, parsley and oregano; measure the sherry and clam juice; and chill everything. When you’re ready to eat, proceed with the recipe.
- Serving Size 2/3 cup clam mixture and 2-oz bread
- Calories 209
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 12 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 549 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g