Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add half of eggplant and 1/8 tsp salt; cook, stirring, until eggplant is soft and browned in spots, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Pour ½ cup water into skillet and scrape out any browned bits; discard. Repeat with 2 tbsp oil, remaining eggplant and 1/8 tsp salt. Transfer to bowl; scrape out skillet again.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in same skillet. Add onion, celery and ¼ tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and celery are very tender and onion is turning golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, ½ tsp honey and pepper flakes; sauté 1 minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Return eggplant to skillet; stir in tomatoes, olives, raisins, vinegar and capers. Bring to a simmer, partially cover and cook until all ingredients are tender and well blended, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring in basil and oregano in final 2 minutes. Season with pepper. Add remaining ½ tsp honey and additional salt, if needed. Serve hot or at room temperature, drizzled with 1 to 2 tbsp oil, or let cool, cover and refrigerate (the flavors continue to develop so it’s even better the next day).
- Serving Size 1/2 cup
- Calories 152
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 3.5 g
- Protein Content 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 198 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g