Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Health Benefit: Potatoes are packed with potassium, an essential mineral that naturally lowers blood pressure and decreases the risk of stroke – eating 4,700 milligrams daily supports overall cardiovascular health.
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a large, rimmed baking sheet in the oven.
2. In a large bowl, combine potatoes and onion. Using a clean tea towel or several layers of paper towel, wring out liquid from vegetables. Repeat, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Discard liquid.
3. Return vegetables to bowl; stir in egg, flour, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Brush baking sheet with 2 tbsp oil; return to oven for 1 minute. Remove from oven. Spoon ¼ cup potato mixture per latke onto baking sheet and flatten using a spatula or bottom of a measuring cup. Brush with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Bake, turning once, until potatoes are golden and cooked through, about 35 minutes.
5. If making topping, place several slices of apple on top of each latke. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle black pepper over top.
*TIP: To save time on prep, use a food processor equipped with a shredding attachment to grate the potatoes and onion.
- Serving Size 2 Latkes
- Calories 188
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 37 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 171 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g