Cost Per Plate: $2.13
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 20 oz lean ground chicken or turkey breast
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp white whole-wheat flour, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, whisked well
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup, plus additional to taste, optional
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tsp grape seed or safflower oil, divided
- 1 apple, halved, cored and each half
- cut into thin slices (TIP: Make sure to cut apple slices the same thickness so they’ll cook evenly.)
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, gently knead together chicken, 3 tbsp flour, garlic, egg, sage, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt and pinch pepper. Shape mixture into 4 1/2-inch-thick patties (NOTE: The mixture will be slightly sticky.) To a shallow bowl, add remaining 1/4 cup flour and dredge each patty in flour to coat both sides.
- Brush a large nonstick skillet with 1/2 tsp oil and heat on medium. Add patties and cook on 1 side until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Flip patties over and press down gently on each with a spatula. Continue cooking until bottom sides are golden brown and patties are cooked through, about 5 to 6 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush a medium skillet with remaining 1/2 tsp oil and heat on medium. Add apple, remaining 1/8 tsp salt, remaining pinch pepper, cinnamon and 1/4 cup water. Sauté, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until apples are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Divide patties among serving plates and top with apples. Drizzle with additional maple syrup (if using).
- Serving Size: 1 chicken sage patty and 1/4 of apple slices
- Calories: 313
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 160 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2.5 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 339 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 3 g