Coconut Cardamom Sweet Potatoes
A creamy sweet potato casserole is a must-have on every holiday table, and we've put a new spin on the eye-catching orange-hued spuds with light coconut milk and various sweet and piquant spices.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: The sweet potatoes in this dish boost the vitamin A content to over 200% of your daily need. Better yet, the vitamin A appears in its beta-carotene form, which promotes bone growth and teeth development. You’ll also get almost 10% of your fiber needs taken care of with just 1 serving, along with healthy doses of zinc and manganese.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (3 1/2 to 4 lb), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 tsp cardamom, ground
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup unsalted pecan halves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes, return to boiling and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer potatoes to the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl and a hand-held electric mixer).
- Add coconut milk, cardamom, vanilla, salt, black pepper and cayenne to potatoes. Mix on medium speed until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl once or twice. Transfer to a 9 x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle pecans evenly over sweet potato mixture.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes and serve.
- Serving Size 1/2 cup
- Calories 100
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3.5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 120 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g