Coconut Chai Chocolate Cake
Coconut, chocolate, dates and a punchy blend of spices — cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and nutmeg — make for a memorable chai chocolate cake.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp plus 1 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour, divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp pure coconut extract
- 10 pitted unsweetened dates, finely chopped
- /4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- Toasted unsweetened flaked coconut for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Mist a 9-inch round baking pan with cooking spray then sprinkle with 1 tbsp flour, discarding any excess that doesn’t stick to the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 1 1/4 cups flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Add egg, egg white, milk, applesauce, honey, oil, orange zest and coconut extract. Using a whisk or electric handheld mixer, beat until combined.
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water and dates to a boil. Remove from heat and gently whisk date-water mixture into cake batter along with flaked coconut. (NOTE: Batter will be thin.)
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan to wire rack. Slice cake into 12 pieces and top each with toasted coconut (if using).
- Serving Size 1/12 of coconut chai cake
- Calories 160
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 18 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 219 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g