A creamy curry is an essential among make-ahead meals — this version with chicken, lentils and a variety of warming spices to bring the heat can be made entirely in advance and simply heated up when you’re ready for it.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven on medium-high, heat oil. Add chicken and sear for 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To pot, add onion and cook for 3 minutes, until soft. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add water, lentils, coconut milk, curry leaves (if using) and salt. Return chicken to pot; bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender and chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and chop when cool enough to handle.
- To pot, add spinach and tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes, until tomatoes are softened. Top with fresh cilantro and a dollop of yogurt (if using) before serving. Serve with rice (if using).
MAKE AHEAD: Make recipe entirely and set aside to cool. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in a saucepan.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 610
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 109 mg
- Fat Content 33 g
- Fiber Content 8.5 g
- Protein Content 39 g
- Sodium Content 521 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g