Coconut Curry Chili
Readers fell hard for this recipe the second it was published, thanks to its 27-minute total time, loads of veggies and bulgur and a curried coconut undertone that sends your taste buds to Cloud Nine!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
- 1 1/2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cumin)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans or BPA-free canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups jarred or boxed tomato purée (aka passata)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- In a 4-qt pot, add curry paste, cumin and a bit of broth. Mash mixture and stir until paste is no longer in lumps. Add remaining broth, bulgur, potato and bell pepper. Set over high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, coconut milk and tomato purée to pot and stir. Cook, uncovered, for 7 minutes, until bulgur is tender and chili is thick. Stir in scallions and black pepper and serve.
- Serving Size 2 1/2 cups
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 65 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 412 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g