Prep It Ahead: Make the dough through Step 2 up to 1 month in advance. Wrap well and freeze; thaw fully in the refrigerator before proceeding. Alternatively, make and refrigerate the dough 3 to 4 days before baking. Bake up to 1 day before the seder; cover in an airtight container.
Superfood Macaroons: Coconuts are rich in lauric acid, a type of medium-chain saturated fatty acid that is quickly metabolized into energy and is less likely to be stored as fat. Coconuts also provide a wealth of minerals such as manganese, which play an important role in protecting your body from free radical damage, and dietary fiber to keep you full and satiated for longer.
1. In a large skillet, combine coconut, maple sugar, egg whites, almond meal, honey and salt. Heat on medium-low, stirring constantly. When mixture just begins to stick to bottom of the pan and is almost about to scorch, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
2. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Using a small ice cream scoop, form dough into little mounds and space them evenly onto prepared sheets.
4. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size 1 macaroon
- Calories 54
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 41 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g