Coconut Shrimp Stir-Fry
This stir-fry boasts energy-boosting B vitamins from broccoli, red bell pepper and Swiss chard. Get even more zeal from the iron-containing shiitake mushrooms and shrimp.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1½ cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Marinade & shrimp
- 1 tsp lime zest + 6 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chile powder
- ½ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup BPA-free canned full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½–1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a container or resealable bag, combine all marinade ingredients. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Seal and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, in a blender, blend all sauce ingredients until combined and smooth.
4. Prepare stir-fry: In a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add mushrooms and broccoli and stir-fry until tender, 10 minutes. Drain shrimp and discard marinade. Add shrimp and bell pepper to skillet and stir-fry until shrimp is opaque, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chard, onions and sauce; stir-fry until chard is wilted, 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Divide rice among 4 plates and top with stir-fry and cilantro.
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 473
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 159 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 14 g
- Sodium Content 597 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g