Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- In a large saucepan, combine blackberries, 3 thyme sprigs, shallot, jalapeño, honey, lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt, black pepper and 1 tbsp water. Bring mixture to a simmer on medium-high for 4 to 5 minutes, until berries and shallots are softened. Remove from heat and discard thyme sprigs; cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne and remaining ¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt. In a medium bowl, whisk egg. Whisk in buttermilk. Add to cornmeal mixture and stir just until moistened. Stir in scallion and corn.
- To a large, heavy skillet on medium-high, heat 2 tsp oil. Add batter in 4 3-tbsp portions and cook until bubbles form on surface and edges are set and golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until opposite sides are golden, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes more. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Working in batches, repeat with remaining oil and batter to make 16 fritters. Divide fritters and berry sauce among plates. Garnish with additional thyme and serve with sour cream, if desired.
- Serving Size 4 fritters and 1/4 of sauce
- Calories 316
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 52 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 469 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g