Love soup? See our favorite cold-weather soups and stews!
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup red lentils (TIP: Spread lentils on a baking sheet and pick over for stones or debris, then rinse well.)
- 4 cups cubed eggplant (½-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 4 oz crumbled soft herbed goat cheese (TIP: Substitute with mozzarella cheese.)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350˚F. In a large pot, heat 1 tsp oil on medium-low. Add garlic and sauté, stirring often, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add broth and 2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in lentils, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in eggplant and corn and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, until lentils and eggplant are tender. Stir in spinach and cook uncovered until wilted, about 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare croutons: Cut each slice bread into 4 equal triangles. Add to a small baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining ½ tsp oil, then toss to coat and spread in an even layer. Transfer to oven or toaster oven and bake, turning once, until golden. Top with cheese and bake for 2 more minutes. Serve with soup.
- Serving Size: 1 13/4 cups soup and 4 crouton
- Calories: 423
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 13 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 369 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g