Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Love soup? See our favorite cold-weather soups and stews!
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350˚F. In a large pot, heat 1 tsp oil on medium-low. Add garlic and sauté, stirring often, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add broth and 2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in lentils, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in eggplant and corn and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, until lentils and eggplant are tender. Stir in spinach and cook uncovered until wilted, about 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, prepare croutons: Cut each slice bread into 4 equal triangles. Add to a small baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining ½ tsp oil, then toss to coat and spread in an even layer. Transfer to oven or toaster oven and bake, turning once, until golden. Top with cheese and bake for 2 more minutes. Serve with soup.
- Serving Size 1 13/4 cups soup and 4 crouton
- Calories 423
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 13 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 14 g
- Protein Content 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 369 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g