Cream Cheese S’mores
Ooey-gooey yet surprisingly low in fat and calories, these rich stacks are a heavenly, healthy take on the overly sugary originals. If you can't find raw cacao nibs, feel free to substitute shaved dark chocolate.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Ooey-gooey yet surprisingly low in fat and calories, these rich cream cheese s’mores are a heavenly, creamier take on the originals. We love a classic s’more as much as the next person, but with raw honey, raw cacao nibs and dark cocoa powder, you can eat an extra bite or two without feeling overloaded with sugar. If you can’t find raw cacao nibs, feel free to substitute shaved dark chocolate.
Nutritional Bonus: While tea, red wine, cacao and cocoa powder may all do wonders when it comes to satisfying your soul (and taste buds), they may also play a hand in strengthening your heart. They’re all rich in catechins, a type of flavonoid that has been found to help reduce blood pressure while lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol and increasing HDL (good) cholesterol.
- ¼ cup low-fat plain cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey
- 2 tsp. dark cocoa powder (70% cocoa or greater)
- 12 natural graham crackers (TRY: Health Valley Organic Oat Bran Graham Crackers)
- 1 Tbsp. raw cacao nibs
- Preheat broiler to high.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and honey; mix until smooth. Stir in cocoa powder and mix until almost completely blended, leaving a few white and brown streaks for presentation.
- Spread about 1 1/2 tsp cream cheese mixture onto each graham cracker. Arrange crackers on a baking sheet and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until warm and soft.
- Remove crackers from oven and arrange on a serving platter. Sprinkle with cocoa nibs, dividing evenly, and serve warm. Enjoy open-faced or sandwich 2 crackers together for a more traditional treat.
- Serving Size 4 crackers and 5 tsp filling
- Calories 130
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 5.5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 85 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g