Cream of Potato & Pear Soup
Sweet and savory worlds collide in this hearty gluten-free soup, with thin ribbons of chard and chunky navy beans providing sustaining fiber.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Swiss chard is an excellent source of betalain pigments, phytonutrients that offer anti-inflammatory and detoxification properties. Other foods and plants that contain these pigments include rhubarb, cacti, beets and amaranth.
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb redskin potatoes, scrubbed well and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1 lb ripe Bosc pears, cored and chopped
- 1 lb green Swiss chard, ribs removed and leaves finely chopped
- 1 15-oz can Eden Organic Navy Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint low-fat milk
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded (about 1/4 lb)
- 2 oz shaved low-fat Parmesan cheese
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, bring broth and 1 cup water to a boil. Add potatoes, onion, rosemary and sage. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pears and immediately remove from heat. With an immersion blender, purée mixture until smooth. (Alternatively, let mixture cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a blender in batches and purée until smooth; return to pot.)
- Return pot to stove top and heat on medium-low. Stir in chard and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in beans. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until heated through. Remove from heat and divide among serving bowls. Garnish with carrot, Parmesan and pepper, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size 2 cups soup, 1 oz carrot, 1/2 oz parmensan
- Calories 386
- Carbohydrate Content 70 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 15 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 515 mg
- Sugar Content 22 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0.5 g