Nutritional Bonus: The fact that 1 serving of our Creamy Asparagus Soup offers over 65% of your daily vitamin K requirement and 40% of today's vitamin C may be a no-brainer, but the goodness doesn't end there. A 1-cup bowl of this spring soup also offers an array of B vitamins (specifically thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and B6), which are necessary for converting carbs to glucose (food to fuel) and metabolizing fats and proteins.
This Creamy Asparagus Soup will go great with this Rye ’n’ Oat Soda Energy Bread.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 1/2 lb asparagus
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced small
- 1 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 slices multigrain bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 oz cooked crabmeat
- 2 tbsp slivered fresh basil
- Wash asparagus, cut off bottom 2 inches and discard. Peel lower half of asparagus spear, then cut spear into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan on medium-high. Add garlic and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until onion begins to turn translucent. Mix in flour and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Then gradually add broth and 1 cup water, continue to stir and bring to a boil, about 5 more minutes.
- Add potatoes and asparagus. Bring broth to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, until asparagus is tender. Working in batches, transfer mixture to a blender and purée for 20 to 30 seconds. (Careful; mixture is hot.) Return soup to pot off heat and blend in milk, salt and black pepper.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a small sauté pan on medium-high. Add bread and toss until lightly brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and sprinkle with Parmesan. To serve, spoon 1 cup soup into each of 6 bowls. In center of each soup, place 1 tbsp croutons, 1 tbsp red pepper, 1 oz crabmeat and 1 tsp basil. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 205
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 22 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 364 mg
- Sugar Content: 6.5 g