- Prep Time
1 tbsp organic unsalted butter or olive oil
1 small leek, white part only, thinly sliced crosswise
2–3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground black pepper
1½ lb asparagus, trimmed and roughly chopped
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 3-inch piece turmeric root, peeled and grated
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp lemon zest + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
¼ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter on low. Add leek and cook, stirring often to prevent butter from browning, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups broth, cauliflower, ground turmeric and ½ tsp pepper. Cover and simmer until cauliflower is soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to a small food processor, add all pesto ingredients. Process for 30 seconds until blended but coarse. Transfer to a small bowl.
4. Add asparagus to soup and cook just until tender and bright green, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer soup, in batches if necessary, to a blender and purée until very smooth, adding as much of the remaining broth as necessary to thin to desired texture. Season with ½ tsp salt. Divide among bowls and garnish each with Turmeric Pesto.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 149
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 10.5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 484 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g