Creamy Autumn Chowder with Garlic Crostini
This creamy chowder uses fiber-rich sweet potatoes for a taste of fall. Here, we bump up the flavor even more by adding the shaved corn cobs to the simmering chowder to draw out flavor. Remove and discard cobs before serving.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, divided (NOTE: Mince 2 cloves and cut 1 clove in half crosswise)
- 2 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
- 3 ears corn
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced sweet potato or orange yam
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 loaf artisan bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large pot on medium, heat oil. Add celery, onion and bell pepper and sauté until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 seconds. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir until coated and thickened, about 45 seconds.
- Cut corn kernels off cobs, reserving cobs. Add corn cobs, broth, milk, coriander and thyme to pot. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn kernels and sweet potato. Continue to cook until sweet potato is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and discard corn cobs. Stir in half-and-half, salt and pepper and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare garlic crostini: Rub cut sides of whole garlic over outside of bread. Slice bread thinly and drizzle with oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake until just crisp. Serve crostini with chowder.
- Serving Size 1 1/3 c chowder, 1/4 of crostini
- Calories 369
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 17 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 595 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g