Find more like this cauliflower potato soup here.
Nutritional Bonus: Cauliflower, a cruciferous vegetable, contains an array of phytonutrients including beta-carotene, quercetin and ferulic acid, all of which help reduce oxidative stress in the body.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large Russet or Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
- 3 1/4 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 1-oz slices all-natural, nitrite-free turkey bacon (TRY: Applegate Organic Turkey Bacon)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium-low. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add potato, cauliflower, broth, 1 cup water and pepper and increase heat to bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes and cauliflower are very tender, 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, mist a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add bacon and cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through to desired crispness. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Chop and set aside.
- With an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. (Alternatively, carefully transfer soup to a blender, in batches if necessary, remove plastic stopper from lid, cover with a kitchen towel and purée until smooth; return to saucepan.) Place saucepan on low and stir in 1/4 cup cheese until melted. Season with additional pepper, if desired. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, bacon and scallions, dividing evenly.
- Serving Size: 1 cup soup, 1 tbsp cheese, 1 tbsp turkey bacon, 2 tsp scallions
- Calories: 204
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 260 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g