Find more chicken recipes here.
Image and recipe from Cuisine at Home.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ¼ cup organic unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ tsp each ground white pepper, nutmeg and sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 oz all-natural turkey bacon (no added nitrates or nitrites), chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 large Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced fresh mozzarella
- 3/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus additional for garnish
- 1 large egg
- 8 6 x 9-inch fresh whole-grain lasagna sheets, halved crosswise (TIP: Check the deli section at your local grocer.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare sauce: In a medium saucepan on medium-high, melt butter. Add 1 clove minced garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Slowly stream in milk while whisking. Cook, whisking constantly, until sauce has thickened, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in white pepper, nutmeg and ¼ tsp salt. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally until just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 3 cloves minced garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chicken, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes and ¼ tsp salt and cook, stirring frequently to break up chicken, until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a large bowl and stir in tomatoes, mozzarella, ¼ cup Asiago and basil. Add egg and stir to combine.
- Spread 1 cup reserved sauce on bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Spread ¼ cup chicken filling on each half pasta sheet; gently roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup Asiago cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10 minutes longer until golden brown and bubbly. Garnish with additional basil.
- Serving Size: 2 cannelloni
- Calories: 439
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 169 mg
- Fat Content: 23 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11 g
- Sodium Content: 346 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g