Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Big fan of enchiladas? Try our Butternut Squash Enchiladas
- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken, smashed garlic and enough broth to cover chicken by 1/2 inch. Bring to a gentle boil on medium, reduce to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Transfer chicken to a plate. Strain broth; reserve 2 cups (save remaining broth for another use).
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan on medium, heat oil. Add white onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add bell, poblano and jalapeño peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in minced garlic, coriander and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Add flour; stir to combine. Add reserved 2 cups broth; bring to a boil, stirring to smooth out lumps. Cook until thickened slightly, 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in 3 cups yogurt, 1/4 cup cilantro and salt. Set aside.
- Shred chicken. Arrange 8 tortilla halves in bottom of prepared pan. Spread one-third of pepper mixture over tortillas and top with one-half of chicken. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortilla halves and remaining pepper mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until cheese begins to brown and casserole is heated through, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with red onion (if using) and remaining 1 tbsp cilantro. Top each serving with a dollop of remaining 1/2 cup yogurt.
- Serving Size 1/8 casserole and 1 tbsp yogurt
- Calories 421
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 72 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 207 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g