Find more freezable recipes here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 brown rice or whole-grain lasagna noodles (NOTE: Oven-ready noodles will work here as well; see instructions.)
- 1 8-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained, divided
- 1 14½-oz BPA-free can or jar unsalted diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add chicken and reduce heat to medium to maintain a low simmer. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside and an instant-read thermometer reads 165˚F when inserted in center, 10 to 15 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly. Using 2 forks, shred chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, bring a separate large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook until pliable, about 8 to 9 minutes or 3 to 4 minutes if using oven-ready noodles. Drain and rinse under cold water. Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread noodles in a single layer on sheet.
- Mist a 9- by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together half of spinach, tomatoes, ½ tsp pepper, ¼ tsp salt and shredded chicken. Spread 1 tbsp ricotta along the length of 1 noodle, followed by about 5½ tbsp chicken-spinach mixture; roll up noodle and place in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining filling and noodles.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in half of milk and bring to a simmer. Cook, whisking, until liquid starts to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in remaining half of milk and cook, whisking, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, remaining half of spinach and remaining ¼ tsp pepper and ½ tsp salt.
- Pour milk mixture over lasagna rolls and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 2 lasagna rolls
- Calories: 494
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 97 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 34 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 539 mg
- Sugar Content: 20 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2.5 g