Creamy Curried Chicken & Apples
This flavorful Indian-inspired dish is brimming with sweet, salty, savory and spicy notes. Use full-fat yogurt so that it won’t curdle when added to the hot skillet.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
COST PER PLATE: $2.51
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 lb), cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large sweet apples, such as Gala, cored and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 11⁄3 cups whole-wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add apples and garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Add broth, yogurt, curry powder, ginger and cumin. Stir well. Return chicken to pan, nestling into sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions. Divide couscous and chicken mixture among plates. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 cups chicken apple mixture and 1/4 of couscous
- Calories 444
- Carbohydrate Content 63 g
- Cholesterol Content 111 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 33 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 389 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g