Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large pot, heat 1½ tsp oil on medium. Add leek and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add 5 cups mushrooms and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add broth, 1½ cups water, beans, parsnips, carrot, thyme, parsley, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer until vegetables soften, about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, wrap 5 cloves whole garlic and ½ tsp oil in foil. Transfer to a baking sheet. Line remaining half of baking sheet with foil and add bell pepper. Drizzle with ½ tsp oil. Bake until edges of bell pepper are slightly blackened, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat remaining ½ tsp oil on medium. Add remaining 1 cup mushrooms and sauté until soft. Add 1 clove minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
4. Prepare croutons: On a separate baking sheet, add bread. Bake, turning once, until golden. Cut each slice into four triangles.
5. Remove garlic and bell pepper from oven and set aside to cool.
6. Squeeze roasted garlic pulp from cloves and add to soup. With an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. (Alternatively, purée in batches in an upright blender.) Add yogurt and sautéed mushrooms. Heat on medium and cook until heated through; do not boil.
7. Arrange an oven rack in top position. Preheat broiler to high. Spoon soup into oven-safe bowls and add one crouton to each. Top with cheese and broil on top rack until cheese melts. Garnish with bell pepper, thyme and, if desired, nuts.
Tip: Freeze extra soup in serving-size containers for up to three months!
- Serving Size 1 cup soup, 1 crouton, 1 oz cheese, 1 ⁄12 bell pepper, ¼ tsp pine nuts
- Calories 157
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 244 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g