Also see Sun-Dried Tomato & Chicken Pasta.
Carol Lovett resides in Ontario, Canada. Four years ago she sat in a doctor’s office complaining of irritable bowel syndrome, headaches, vertigo and fatigue. After following the doctor’s suggestion to “ditch the wheat,” she regained her health and has never looked back. She believes that eating grain-free shouldn’t be boring and loves to develop recipes that replicate her favorite grain-based foods, such as pizza – and often they turn out better than the originals! Carol enjoys teaching others how to bring good food back into their diet through her blog, ditchthewheat.com.
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup coconut cream (NOTE: Refrigerate 1 13½-oz BPA-free can full-fat coconut milk. After refrigeration, the cream rises to the top and can be scooped out and used as a replacement for cream in recipes; reserve the water for a future use. One can usually yields about 1 cup cream.)
- 4 zucchini, peeled
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp sea salt, plus additional, to taste
- 4 slices all-natural bacon (no added nitrates or nitrites), chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 white mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, plus additional, to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish, optional
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce and coconut cream and set aside.
- Use a spiral slicer to create zucchini noodles, following the instructions for the machine. If you don’t have a spiral slicer, use a vegetable peeler to create long, flat strands of zucchini. Place noodles in a large bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt, and toss. Set noodles aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. The salt will draw out excess water from the noodles.
- In a large skillet on medium, add bacon, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Sauté for 10 minutes, or until bacon is crispy, stirring often. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and vegetables from pan and set aside, leaving bacon fat in pan.
- Add chicken to hot pan, season with 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse salt off zucchini noodles, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Return bacon and vegetables to skillet and add zucchini noodles. Add the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes, or until noodles are heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley (if using).
- Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 481
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Cholesterol Content: 80 mg
- Fat Content: 36 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 22 g
- Sodium Content: 612 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g