Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Also see Sun-Dried Tomato & Chicken Pasta.
Carol Lovett resides in Ontario, Canada. Four years ago she sat in a doctor’s office complaining of irritable bowel syndrome, headaches, vertigo and fatigue. After following the doctor’s suggestion to “ditch the wheat,” she regained her health and has never looked back. She believes that eating grain-free shouldn’t be boring and loves to develop recipes that replicate her favorite grain-based foods, such as pizza – and often they turn out better than the originals! Carol enjoys teaching others how to bring good food back into their diet through her blog, ditchthewheat.com.
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce and coconut cream and set aside.
- Use a spiral slicer to create zucchini noodles, following the instructions for the machine. If you don’t have a spiral slicer, use a vegetable peeler to create long, flat strands of zucchini. Place noodles in a large bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt, and toss. Set noodles aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. The salt will draw out excess water from the noodles.
- In a large skillet on medium, add bacon, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Sauté for 10 minutes, or until bacon is crispy, stirring often. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and vegetables from pan and set aside, leaving bacon fat in pan.
- Add chicken to hot pan, season with 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse salt off zucchini noodles, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Return bacon and vegetables to skillet and add zucchini noodles. Add the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes, or until noodles are heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley (if using).
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 481
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 80 mg
- Fat Content 36 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content 22 g
- Sodium Content 612 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g