Make It A No-Pot Meal
If you have a high-powered blender, you can save a pot and heat the soup in the blender. Simply process the soup and continue to whiz it until hot. Check your instruction manual for specific directions for your model.
- Prep Time
1 28-oz BPA-free can unsalted diced tomatoes with juices (fire roasted, if possible)
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
¼ to ½ tsp red pepper flakes
⅓ cup heavy cream
¼ cup organic unsalted butter, divided (TRY: Horizon Organic Unsalted Butter)
¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley + additional for serving
1½ oz sliced cheddar cheese (3 thin slices)
2 1½-oz slices pumpernickel bread
1. In a blender, purée tomatoes, broth, onion, garlic and pepper flakes.
2. Transfer to a medium saucepan on medium; add cream and 2 tbsp butter and cook until heated, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and stir in parsley.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet on medium-high, melt remaining 2 tbsp butter. Arrange cheese in an even layer on 1 bread slice; top with remaining bread slice. Cook, turning halfway through, until cheese is melted and bread is toasted, about 5 minutes. Cut into bite-size pieces.
4. Divide soup among bowls; top with grilled cheese croutons and additional parsley.
- Serving Size: ½ of recipe
- Calories: 646
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Cholesterol Content: 127 mg
- Fat Content: 46 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 28 g
- Sodium Content: 791 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content: 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 2 g