Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
We've taken the classic combo of grilled cheese and tomato soup and reinvented it. In our version, the grilled cheese is made into croutons and served on the soup — chop them larger or smaller depending on your preference.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Make It A No-Pot Meal
If you have a high-powered blender, you can save a pot and heat the soup in the blender. Simply process the soup and continue to whiz it until hot. Check your instruction manual for specific directions for your model.
1 28-oz BPA-free can unsalted diced tomatoes with juices (fire roasted, if possible)
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
¼ cup finely chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
¼ to ½ tsp red pepper flakes
⅓ cup heavy cream
¼ cup organic unsalted butter, divided (TRY: Horizon Organic Unsalted Butter)
¼ tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley + additional for serving
1½ oz sliced cheddar cheese (3 thin slices)
2 1½-oz slices pumpernickel bread
1. In a blender, purée tomatoes, broth, onion, garlic and pepper flakes.
2. Transfer to a medium saucepan on medium; add cream and 2 tbsp butter and cook until heated, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and stir in parsley.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet on medium-high, melt remaining 2 tbsp butter. Arrange cheese in an even layer on 1 bread slice; top with remaining bread slice. Cook, turning halfway through, until cheese is melted and bread is toasted, about 5 minutes. Cut into bite-size pieces.
4. Divide soup among bowls; top with grilled cheese croutons and additional parsley.
- Serving Size ½ of recipe
- Calories 646
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 127 mg
- Fat Content 46 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 28 g
- Sodium Content 791 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 13 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g