READER RECIPE TESTER
Kansas City, Missouri
“I love experimenting with new ingredients, so I jumped at the chance to cook with okra for the first time. It was so easy – 20 minutes for a savory meal with plenty of fresh flavor and texture. I chickened out when it came to the hot sauce though. Not to worry: The fresh herbs and veggies ensured that there was still a ton of taste.”
Video: Types of Tomatoes
Tomatoes come in different colors and sizes, and Chef Jo’s video gives you all her secrets for properly cleaning, storing and using the many different varieties.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium high. Coat skillet with cooking spray, add chicken and cook for 2 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside on a separate plate.
- Return skillet to medium-high and heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onion and pepper and cook for 4 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup water, tomatoes, okra, thyme and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until okra is just tender. Remove from heat, stir in hot sauce, salt, remaining 1 tbsp oil and 1/4 cup parsley. Add chicken, stir to blend, cover and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb flavors and heat chicken thoroughly.
- Toss rice with remaining 1/4 cup parsley and serve chicken mixture over top.
- Serving Size 3/4 c chicken mixture, 1/2 c rice
- Calories 294
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 49 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 310 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g