Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
The Italian method of grilling chicken under a brick – known as pollo al mattone – produces delicious, perfectly juicy meat. Here, we create two temperature zones on the grill to achieve the ultimate crispy skin without burning. If you don’t have bricks, use cast iron skillets.
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.
1. Preheat a greased grill to medium- high with one-half of the grill turned off to create a cool zone.
2. Mound rosemary, garlic, lemon zest and two-thirds of each salt and pepper on a board and finely chop to a sticky paste. Place in a small bowl; stir in mustard and oil.
3. Carefully slide fingers under chicken skin and rub herb mixture underneath. Season chicken on both sides with remaining one- third of each salt and pepper. (MAKE AHEAD: Prepare chicken up to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.)
4. Arrange chicken skin side down on hot side of grill. Place a foil- wrapped brick on each chicken breast and cover grill. If using cast iron skillets, place a piece of foil over each chicken breast and then place skillets on top.
5. Cook until skin is golden brown and crispy, about 10 minutes, moving the chicken over to the cool zone
if there are any flare-ups or chicken starts to burn. Remove bricks (or skillets and foil) with oven mitts, flip chicken with tongs and replace bricks (or foil and skillets) on top.
6. Grill, covered, until an instant- read thermometer inserted into thickest part of largest breast registers 165°F, 8 to 10 minutes more. Carefully transfer chicken to a platter, skin side up, and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 301
- Carbohydrate Content 2 g
- Cholesterol Content 111 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 40 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 543 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g