Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Blot tofu with paper towel. Place between 2 plates and weight down with a cookbook or can of beans for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare dipping sauce: In a bowl, whisk together miso paste, peanut butter, lime juice, honey and cayenne with 2 tbsp water, or to desired consistency. Set aside.
- Slice pressed tofu into ½-inch sticks, resembling fries. Mix potato starch and pepper together on a plate. Roll tofu sticks through potato starch mixture to evenly coat.
- In a large cast iron skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Working in batches, cook tofu sticks until golden brown on all sides, flipping with tongs, 45 to 60 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while cooking remaining tofu.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce.
- Serving Size ¼ of tofu fries and 2 tbsp sauce
- Calories 275
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 357 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 5 g