Crunchy Thai Black Rice Salad with Peanut Ginger Dressing
Crunchy radish, carrots, cabbage and bell pepper are combined with black rice and edamame for a vibrant and satisfying lunchtime salad. The best part is that you can pack it into a glass jar up to 5 days in advance – since the dressing only touches the heartiest vegetables, there is no risk of having a soggy salad!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 cup black rice, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small bunch radishes (about 6), trimmed and sliced
- 4 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1 large red bell pepper,seeded and diced
- 6 scallions,sliced thinly (light green parts)
- 6 tbsp coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp natural unsalted creamy peanut butter (TRY: Once Again Organic Creamy Peanut Butter No Salt Added)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- • 4 32-oz glass jars with lids
- Cook rice according to package directions. Spread cooked rice in an even layer on a large plate or rimmed baking sheet to cool completely. ( MAKE AHEAD: Make rice up to 1 day before prepping the rest of the salad.)
- Meanwhile, cook edamame according to package directions. Drain, rinse in cold water, and set aside to cool.
- Prepare dressing: In a small blender or food processor, blend all dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Divide dressing among glass jars. Layer ingredients, dividing evenly among jars, in the following order: carrots, radishes, cabbage, edamame, bell pepper, scallions and rice.
(NOTE: There will be a little bit of space at the top, which allows you to shake up ingredients with the dressing when ready to eat.) Screw on lids and refrigerate for up to 5 days. When ready to serve, shake ingredients thoroughly and pour into a bowl.)
- Serving Size 1 jar of Thai Black Rice Salad
- Calories 435
- Carbohydrate Content 68 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5.5 g
- Sodium Content 226 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2.5 g