Crustless Italian Quiche
The only thing standing between clean eating and quiche is that flaky, buttery crust, which sometimes weighs down the delicate dish. We've taken it away completely, letting the multicolored vegetables hold court.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 cups eggplant, chopped (about 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped (about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 artichoke hearts, chopped (water-packed and drained from jar or thawed from frozen)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn in pieces
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, onion and garlic in oil for 10 minutes. Then turn off heat and gently fold artichokes into vegetable mixture.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk egg, egg whites, milk, black pepper, thyme and oregano. Add egg mixture, basil and mozzarella to vegetable mixture. Gently stir until eggs and mozzarella are evenly distributed among vegetables.
- Mist an 8-inch round or square glass pan with cooking spray. Pour in egg-vegetable mixture. Place in oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes to set quiche.
- Serving Size 1/5 of quiche
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 55 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 280 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g