Cumin Beet Soup
Enjoy this creamy and comforting beet soup from chef and CE recipe developer Julie Morris’ newest cookbook Superfood Soups.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Find more soup recipes here.
- 1 lb beets (about 3 to 4 medium), trimmed and scrubbed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 13.5-oz BPA-free can full-fat coconut milk, divided
- 2 tsp dulse flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Ground sumac, for garnish, optional
- Beet sprouts, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wrap beets individually in foil, then place on a baking sheet. Roast for 60 to 90 minutes, or until very soft. Remove beets from oven and let rest until they are cool enough to handle. Peel away and discard beet skins; dice beets. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium, warm coconut oil. Add cumin seeds and lightly toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add maca, turmeric, chile powder, salt and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To saucepan, stir in 1½ cups coconut milk and simmer for 1 minute to warm. To a blender, transfer soup and add dulse flakes and lemon juice. Purée until smooth – be sure to blend very thoroughly for an evenly silky texture. Serve warm and drizzle with remaining coconut milk. If using, add a sprinkle of sumac and beet sprouts for garnish.
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g