Curried Carrot Parsnip Fritters
Shredded carrots and parsnips are seasoned with curry powder in these no-fuss fritters. You can shallow fry them in avocado oil or bake them. Pair them with a sauce for dipping, if you like.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
2 tbsp coconut flour
1½ tsp curry powder (TRY: Simply Organic Curry Powder)
⅛ tsp chile powder, optional
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 carrots, shredded
2 parsnips, shredded
4 green onions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1½ tsp lime zest
3 large eggs, beaten
avocado oil, as needed
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, curry, chile powder (if using), salt and pepper. Add carrots, parsnips, green onions, coconut and lime zest; toss until well combined. Add eggs and stir until well mixed. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow flour mixture to absorb some of the liquid.
2. Preheat oven to 200ºF. Place a metal rack over a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Pour oil in a large, deep skillet until ½ inch deep; heat on medium until oil reaches 350ºF to 375ºF on a thermometer. Form ¼-cup portions of mixture into patties, making 8 total, squeezing out any extra liquid; set aside.
3. Working in 2 batches, carefully transfer patties to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Use a large slotted spoon to transfer fritters to rack-lined baking sheet in oven, keeping warm while cooking remaining fritters.
NOTE: You can bake these if you prefer. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Arrange patties on a large, generously oiled baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, mist tops with cooking spray, and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer, until cooked through and golden.
- Serving Size 2 fritters
- Calories 255
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 140 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 341 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g