Curried Chicken & Cauliflower Soup
A drop of tasty coconut milk is used in place of oil to brown the chicken in this soup and adds the rich flavor beloved in Indian cuisine. If you prefer a citrusy, herbal taste instead, try swapping the cilantro for fresh parsley and a squeeze of lime.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Nutritional Bonus: Curry powder is rich in turmeric, which is responsible for the powder’s yellow tint. (It also lends its color to the picnic condiment mustard.) Curcumin, the pigment in the spice, has demonstrated impressive anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, in numerous studies, its effectiveness in reducing inflammation has been compared to that of such drugs as hydrocortisone, phenylbutazone and over-the-counter Motrin.
- 2 tbsp light coconut milk
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small yellow or red potato, unpeeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- In a 4-qt pot, heat coconut milk over medium heat, swirling to coat pot and being careful to not let milk boil. Add chicken, covering the bottom of the pot, and season with curry powder. When edges of chicken turn white, about 3 minutes, flip pieces. Cook for 1 to 3 minutes, until chicken is lightly golden.
- Add cauliflower, bell pepper, potato and broth, and increase heat to medium-high to bring mixture to a boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- When cauliflower and potatoes are tender, simmer uncovered for 1 more minute to thicken slightly. Season with black pepper. Spoon soup into bowls and top with scallions and cilantro, dividing both evenly. Finish each with a 1/4-cup dollop of yogurt.
- Serving Size 1 1/3 c cauliflower soup and 1/4 cup yogurt
- Calories 186
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 33 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 3.5 g
- Protein Content 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 131 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g